23 January 2012

Week 2: Perceptions of Intelligence

In the last class we discussed perceptions of intelligence, which can be "fixed" or "flexible." Fixed apparently means that one is convinced one is either clever or not, and anything that doesn't fit into your skill set immediately is either dismissed as uninteresting or impossible. Flexible means you learn from failures and are open to new and uncomfortable experiences. Well, it's pretty obvious which one the vocabulary wants you to strive for.

We were asked to raise our hands based on which one we think we are. I raised my hand for the "fixed" category, but I was hoping to be called on. I'm kind of uncomfortable with this dichotomy--but maybe I've misunderstood it. My reaction was "That's ridiculous... not being naturally good at something doesn't make me either doubt my own intelligence or doubt the validity of the task." I can't sing for beans, but I love listening to other people do it. I have no athletic ability, but physical feats are still impressive. I'm way too busy and lazy to make my own clothes (even though I technically know how), but I deeply envy people who have the time and patience. So... did I just misunderstand something, or is this dichotomy extremely reductive?

Note: sorry this post is up so late, I accidentally left it as a draft last week!

2 comments:

  1. Esti, I'm glad you're taking issue with the fixed/flexible dichotomy, and I found myself struggling a bit, too, with making sense of it. I think of myself as "fixed" in terms of how I view myself, i.e. in practice I am hard on myself, whereas in theory I certainly think people can learn and improve (even I can!), and that hard work is a big part of excelling at something. It's also sort of the nature/nurture debate at least in some aspects, and I also think of Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers in this context. Serendipitous opportunities/encounters and being in the right place at the right time--in addition to working hard--can make a huge difference in whether or what someone excels at.
    I'm intrigued by the "fixed/flexible" stuff, and did go out and borrow Carol Dweck's book that deals with this subject, but I haven't had a chance to actually (re-)read it yet. I'd be happy to keep returning to this conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have trouble with fixed/flexible because I don't think that people are always one or the other. I know that for me it varies depending on my mood or state of mind. If I'm tired or in a bad mood I am much more likely to think that I will never be good at something I'm trying and failing to accomplish, but if I'm in a good mood, I am more likely to have the attitude that I'll improve if I keep trying.

    I think it can also be situational. What I mean is that I am more fixed when it comes to myself, but flexible when it comes to others. I wouldn't ever think, "Oh, he'll never be good at that" about a friend, and yet I would think that about myself.

    ReplyDelete