06 February 2012

Week 4 Class Reflection

I loved seeing everyone's screencasts in class... even though they made mine look sort of drab. I've never really used this technology before, but I'm really excited to have it now, as long as I can have someone else narrate the next time I have to make one! My voice does not record well, and I'm apparently not particularly capable of using a trackpad and talking at the same time.

So, for the most part, I learn by reading things. Every time I'm presented with a video tutorial I whine and look for a written version. Maybe an illustrated one, but one that doesn't move or have audio or require me to turn off Nick Cave and listen to someone talk very very slowly through steps that I can mostly figure out on my own. BUT apparently I like screencasts. I even used Naomi's to figure out how to use Zotero for another class! Somehow these feel like something to follow along with, rather than something to watch and then go imitate. I'm not sure what the difference is, but there seems to be something much more personable and less patronizing about screencasts. I'm sold.

(Sorry this is late again, I left it as a draft... again. Setting a reminder in my calendar to post class reflections when I write the reading ones.) 

1 comment:

  1. I think you're onto something here ... about the way a screencast can contribute to the ... humanization? ... of screencasts on a Web site. As we mentioned in class, good ADA (Americans w/Disabilities Act) practice would have you couple a screencast with a printed transcript to meet the needs of the hearing impaired (or folks like you who read quickly)!

    ReplyDelete